An Enabling Environment “Celebrating Creativity, Inspiring Innovators, Empowering Entrepreneurs”
WRITTEN BY: DAN LYNCH
There’s something new and exciting opening at Brock University this Fall!
With established strengths in transdisciplinary research and experiential education, Brock is an active partner in the building of a strong foundation for the revitalization of Niagara Region, helping transform Niagara into a flourishing centre of innovation and entrepreneurship.
And finding powerful new ways to advance efforts to create and transform great ideas into economic and social innovations continues to be a priority for Brock.
As its initial step, Brock established BioLinc as its on-campus incubator for experiential entrepreneurship education and to nurture innovation. Its limited space and capacity plus increased demand for services from students and private sector collaborators, however, emphasized the urgent need to enhance its size and scope, to connect BioLInc with Brock’s other innovation-enablers, and to create a centrally-located, seamless system of on-campus innovations and support.
The result … Brock LINC in the new Rankin Family Pavilion!
With $8.5 million from the federal government’s Post-Secondary Institutions Strategic Investment Fund, Brock has converted the former open-air pedestrian mall in front of the Schmon Tower into an exciting, purpose-built $19 million, two-story, 41,000 square-foot research, innovation and commercialization centre at the entranceway to the University.
- Need help finding your way/connecting at Brock? Stop by the LINC Welcome Desk for information and directions, in the centre of the Rankin Atrium.
- Alumni returning for a visit? Check out the Golden Badger display for artifacts and memories featuring our first alumni.
- And looking for new skills, experiences and opportunities? Explore your potential at Brock LINC, where you can choose your own (ad)venture with some of Brock’s most unique resources - including the Library’s expanded Makerspace and new Digital Scholarship Lab, CCOVI’s first-of-its-kind VR/AR Consumer Lab, plus the business services and programs of The Goodman Group.
At the heart of your Brock LINC Experience lies our two intertwined pathways for students and innovators built upon creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship:
- The first is “PLP”, your own “Personal LINC Path”, an open program of activities, events, workshops and sessions, that lets you tailor your own path of learning events, advanced technological skills, and entrepreneurship education.
- The other is “KSE”, our admissions-based “Kick-Start Entrepreneurship” program of credit and experiential activities, that provides immersive experience, expert mentorship, and support for business and opportunity development to entrepreneurial and innovation-minded participants, building towards business incubation and residency in LINC space or with our Niagara partners.
Brock LINC integrates the resources of its partners and contributors, in research, experiential education, skills training, innovation, business and technology, to provide a range of compelling high-value programming and activities.
From literature to prototyping, from neuroscience to networking, from wet lab to web app: Brock LINC is a bridge between academic interest and creative problem-solving that gives participants the skills to build businesses, strengthen organizations, and contribute to the region, to the nation, and to the world.
What are you waiting for?
Discover for yourself, get started on your Personal LINC Path … at Brock LINC.
Learn more at www.brocku.ca/linc.
Dan Lynch is Special Advisor, LINC, Office of the Vice-President, Research, at Brock University and formerly Manager of BioLinc. Dan brings a strong and career-long commitment to assisting SMEs and academic researchers, mentoring entrepreneurs, facilitating commercialization and industry liaison.
This article originally appeared in Business Link Niagara.